Spring 2016 Musical: The Mad Adventures of Mr. Toad
Join Mr. Toad on his musical mad adventures-it’s a smashing hit in more ways than one! This is a delightful, upbeat version of Kenneth Grahame’s ever-popular Wind in the Willows. The eccentric but likeable Toad of Toad Hall, given to ’crazes,’ has a problem: he is obsessed with motorcars and ends up crashing them everywhere he goes! Join Mr. Toad and his friends Badger, Rat and Mole on a hilarious adventure as Mr. Toad reforms, reclaims his honor, and saves Toad Hall!
Important Registration Information:
Registration for the performance will be capped at 34 participants, first come first serve.
Registration opens on January 14, 2016 and will close on March 10, 2016 after the auditions, in order to give the director time to finalize the script.
All participants are asked to attend auditions on Thursday March 10th at 1:00pm hosted at the Harrisburg YMCA. If your child wants to know their role before they commit to participating, they are welcome to attend auditions prior to registering, and can register directly afterwards.
Children who do not attend auditions are still invited to participate if there is space available, but should anticipate filling supporting roles.
How to Enroll:
- Click ENROLL NOW link.
- Submit the enrollment form.
- Submit the $25/child deposit.
- Open enrollment for actor/actress roles for proficient readers ages 5+. Children are expected to read their script lines independently in front of the group beginning on the rehearsal after parts are cast.
2 Price Options –
A) Cost if you choose to sell ad space to fundraise:
- $80/child for the performance season ($25 due at time of registration via paypal, and $55 balance at the first class). Sibling Discount applies where applicable.
A) Cost if you choose not to sell ad space to fundraise:
- $160/child for the performance season ($25 due at time of registration via paypal, and $135 balance at the first class). Sibling Discount applies where applicable.
- (Brief explanation! We know in the past, some parents have been uncomfortable with the ad sales requirement, so this season we’ve added the option to pay an increased registration fee and not participate in the fundraising.)
- The enrollment fee includes:
- 13, 1 or 2-hour rehearsals
- 2, 2-hour rehearsals (total 17-30 hours of rehearsal instruction)
- 1 invited dress rehearsal
- 2 performances
- Costumes and other necessaries are paid for separately by the parent, however costumes are inexpensive and most are created by the parent costume design team.
- Cannon Memorial YMCA located @ 4110 Main Street, Suite 200 Harrisburg, NC 28075
All participants (those who have registered prior to auditions as well as those who are planning to register after auditions) are asked to attend the auditions on Thursday March 10, 2016 at 1:00pm in the Character Room of the Harrisburg YMCA.
How to Prepare for Auditions:
Participants ages 7 and under will be asked to present a short, age-appropriate monologue that they have prepared beforehand. What monologue should you choose? The sky’s the limit! There are many websites and books devoted to children’s monologues that you could choose from. As you work on your monologue, remember to practice being loud — project your voice. Try your best to infuse the monologue with emotion and personality.
Participants ages 8 and above will “cold read” selected monologues from “The Mad Adventures of Mr. Toad” script. They will not have the monologues beforehand. In addition to the script, the student will receive a character description, to best understand the character that they are representing in their monologue.
Because we are performing a musical, all participants who are interested in singing solos are asked to prepare a short song or short part of a song, maximum of one minute. It is not required that you sing one, however this lets the director know that you would be interested in doing a solo in company songs or playing a character who sings solo. Talk-singing (speaking a song in rhythm) is perfectly acceptable.
Parents are welcome, but not required, to stay with their students during the audition.
- We will be hosting a group read-through of the script prior to the first rehearsal on Thursday March 24, 2016 at 1:00pm at the Harrisburg YMCA. Parents are welcome to attend.
Participants must be available to rehearse from 1-3 pm, although they may not be asked to rehearse both hours. Dates are as follows:
- 1:00-2:00pm for all participants on Tuesdays and Thursdays for an 8-week session, on the dates below:
- 3/31, 4/5/, 4/7, 4/12, 4/14, 4/19, 4/21, 4/26, 4/28, 5/3, 5/5, 5/10, 5/12,
- 2:00-3:00pm depending on the scene/cast called to rehearse early on that particular day. In general, please plan for your child to be available from 1-3.
- 1:00-3:00 for all participants during the final rehearsal week, on the dates below:
- 5/17, 5/19
Dress Rehearsal Schedule:
- 1:00-3:00pm on Friday May 20, 2016 at the Harrisburg YMCA, located @ 4110 Main Street, Suite 200 Harrisburg, NC 28075.
- When: Friday May 20, 2016 @ 7pm AND Saturday May 21, 2016 @ 6pm
- Where: Hickory Ridge High School auditorium, located @ 7321 Raging Ridge Rd Harrisburg, NC 28075
- Parent participation is key to achieving a successful experience, therefore participation in Rise & Shine Players℠ should be considered a family commitment. Parents are encouraged to include any theatre-related talents in the appropriate spot on the enrollment form, however a list of volunteer opportunities will be discussed at a parent meeting on the day of the first rehearsal.
- For parents who are registering through Option A – “Choose to sell playbill ad space.” :
- Fundraising through the sale of playbill ad space is one of the primary sources through which we fund our group (pay directors, rent rehearsal space and performance space, etc.). Ultimately, we use the funds to subsidize the cost of registration to keep the price as affordable as possible. This is nothing to stress – you’ll receive instructions on how to go about selling ad space, and we’ll do our best to make it as easy for you as possible!
- One parent from each family is required to:
- Attend a parent meeting held during the first rehearsal on 3/31/16 at the YMCA from 1:00 – 2:00. Volunteer roles and marketing assignments (for parents who chose payment option A) will be made during this meeting.
- Volunteer approximately 6 hours of time in their assigned role (costume design, set design, playbill creation, etc.)
- Visit local businesses to sell advertising space in the playbill (for parents who chose payment option A)