Fall 2015 Production: Shakespeare for Kids!
Shakespeare for Kids! introduces young audiences to the Bard through a clever collection of scenes presented in everyday language that tell the stories of eight of Shakespeare’s best known plays. From Romeo and Juliet to Macbeth to Henry V, audiences will be inspired and entertained as they come to understand Shakespeare like never before!
Important Registration Information:
Registration for the performance will be capped at 34 participants, first come first serve.
Registration opens on July 8, 2015 and will close on September 9, 2015, one week before the first rehearsal, in order to give the director time to finalize the script.
All participants are asked to attend auditions on Wednesday, September 2, 2015 at 1:00pm hosted at the Harrisburg YMCA. If your child wants to know their role before they commit to participating, they are welcome to attend auditions prior to registering, and can register afterwards.
Children who do not attend auditions are still invited to participate if there is space available, but should anticipate filling supporting roles.
How to Enroll:
- Click ENROLL NOW link.
- Submit the enrollment form.
- Submit the $25/child deposit.
- Open enrollment for actor/actress roles for proficient readers ages 5+. Children are expected to read their script lines independently in front of the group beginning on the rehearsal after parts are cast.
- $80/child for the performance season ($25 due at time via paypal, and $55 balance due at the first class). Sibling Discount applies where applicable.
- The enrollment fee includes:
- 13, 1 or 2-hour rehearsals and 2, 2-hour rehearsals (total 17-30 hours of rehearsal instruction)
- 1 invited dress rehearsal
- 2 performances (one evening, one matinee)
- Costumes and other necessaries are paid for separately by the parent, however costumes are inexpensive and most are created by the parent costume design team.
- Cannon Memorial YMCA located @ 4110 Main Street, Suite 200 Harrisburg, NC 28075
All participants (those who have registered prior to auditions as well as those who are planning to register after auditions) are asked to attend the auditions on Wednesday September 2, 2015 at 1:00pm in the Character Room of the Harrisburg YMCA.
- We will be hosting a group read-through of the script prior to the first rehearsal on Wednesday, September 9, 2015 at 1:00pm at the Harrisburg YMCA. Parents are welcome to attend.
Participants must be available to rehearse from 1-3pm, although they may not be asked to rehearse both hours. Dates are as follows:
- 1:00-2:00pm for all participants on Mondays and Wednesdays for an 8-week session, on the dates below:
9/16, 9/21, 9/23, 9/28, 9/30, 10/5, 10/7, 10/12, 10/14, 10/19, 10/21, 10/26, 10/28,
- 2:00-3:00pm depending on the scene/cast called to rehearse early on that particular day
- 1:00-3:00 for all participants during the final rehearsal week, on the dates below:
- 11/2, 11/4
Dress Rehearsal Schedule:
- 1:00-3:00pm on Friday November 6, 2015 at the Harrisburg YMCA, located @ 4110 Main Street, Suite 200 Harrisburg, NC 28075.
- When: Friday November 6, 2015 @ 7pm AND Saturday November 7, 2015 @ 2pm
- Where: Harold E. Winkler Middle School located @ 4501 Weddington Rd NW, Concord, NC 28027
- Parent participation is key to achieving a successful experience, therefore participation in Rise & Shine Players℠ should be considered a family commitment. Parents are encouraged to include any theatre-related talents in the appropriate spot on the enrollment form, however a list of volunteer opportunities will be discussed at a parent meeting on the day of the first rehearsal.
- One parent from each family is required to:
- Attend a parent meeting held during the first rehearsal on 9/16 at the YMCA from 1:00 – 2:00. Volunteer roles and marketing assignments will be made during this meeting.
- Volunteer approximately 6 hours of time in their assigned role (costume design, set design, playbill creation, etc.)
- Visit 3-4 local businesses to sell advertising space in the playbill
How to Prepare for Auditions:
The main things to expect at auditions are a lot of fun, no need for nerves, and the chance to be loud and play make-believe. You can expect to read for your choice of character, and you can expect to read for lots of other characters, as well! Parents are welcome, but not required, to stay with their students during the audition. We will start with a warm-up to get ready, followed by a game, and then continue with cold readings from the script. We will do an activity that focuses on volume and how loud each student can be onstage.
The best way to prepare at home for auditions:
- Practice being loud. Project your voice.
- Read books out loud. Use different voices for each character & try to express their emotions.
Romeo and Juliet
ROMEO, JULIET, MERCUTIO, NURSE, TYBALT, MONTAGUE, LADY MONTAGUE, CAPULET, LADY CAPULET, FRIAR
JULIUS CAESAR, BRUTUS, OCTAVIUS, CASSIUS, TITINUS, CALPURNIA, SOOTHSAYER, MARC ANTONY, FIRST CITIZEN, SECOND CITIZEN, THIRD CITIZEN
MACBETH, BANQUO, LADY MACBETH, KING DUNCAN, MALCOM, DONALBAIN, SOLDIERS, FIRST WITCH, SECOND WITCH, THIRD WITCH, MACDUFF, PARTY GUESTS
HAMLET, OPHELIA, CLAUDIUS, GERTRUDE, GHOST, POLONIUS, PIRA, TES, LAERTES
A Midsummer Night’s Dream
HERMIA, HELENA, DEMESTRIUS, LYSANDER, PUCK, OBERON, TITANIA, EGEUS, BOTTOM, THESEUS
CAPTAIN, VIOLA/CESARIO, SEBASTIAN, ORSINO, OLIVIA, ANTONIO
The Taming of the Shrew
BAPTISTA MILOLA, BIANCA, KATE, PETRUCHIO, GREMIO, HORTENSIO, LUCENTIO
HENRY V, FRENCH KING, KATHERINE, ENGLISH COURT, FRENCH COURT, FIRST TRAITOR, SECOND TRAITOR, THIRD TRAITOR, DAUPHIN,
FIRST SOLDIER, SECOND SOLDIER, THIRD SOLDIER